free hit counter

Centennial State University, founded in 1891, is a prestigious public university located just south of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Its remote location serves as a great higher education grounds, as there are little distractions yet many learning experiences. CSU offers a wide array of degrees, from wildlife conservation to video game design to dance, just to name a few. Our science and arts departments are among the nation's finest, and our intercollegiate athletics programs are rising up more and more every year. If you're interested in having both the experience of a lifetime and the best education in the midwest, then apply today and call CSU home.

APPLY | DEGREE PROGRAMS | CAMPUS LIVING | GREEK LIFE
Home    Search    Members    Calendar    Chat

Photo

When All Else Fails, Write

Mario Malkavia

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Clara Bishop

Clara Bishop

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

Clara had been busy writing her final paper and working on various projects.  She didn't like all the work she was doing on schoolwork because it was taking her away from her stories.  Clara knew that she had to do homework but didn't want to, of course.  Instead of continuing her homework, though, she decided that she would hide out in the Student Center in one of the study rooms.  At least there she would be alone and could work on her writing.

As she took out her writing book, she thought about the current situation her main character was in.  She was still stuck and though she had written some of the villain out, using Rowan as a partial template, Clara still had no idea what she wanted to do.  So, as usual when she got stuck, Clara simply started a new story.

Clara started writing, more just stream of consciousness than anything, and kept writing down her thoughts.  When she looked back at them, the brunette realized that she had written about missing her parents.  It was getting closer to Christmas and this would be her first with them gone.  Tears welled up in her eyes and she quickly wiped them away.  She could be sad all she wanted, but she didn't want anyone to know if they happened to walk in.  Not that she was expecting anyone, but the study rooms weren't reserved and could just be used when needed.

Hearing the door behind her, Clara closed her notebook and checked her face for any remaining tears.  Finding none, she turned to see Mario Malkavia at the door.  She had met the guy a couple of times in one of their writing classes.  He seemed nice from the few times that they had talked.  Clara forced a smile.

"Hey there," she said.  "Are you here to study?  I can leave you alone."

Clara started to put her things away in case Mario wanted to be alone.

Posted Image

#2 Mario Malkavia

Mario Malkavia

• Junior

• Not Telling
  • Creative Writing/History
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cindy
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

Mario had been dealing with what he expected from this time of year; keeping his sister Belle from stressing out too much from the upcoming finals and final projects due.  The girl worried far too much about all of it and he was concerned she would stress herself out too much.   Aurora on the other hand, well, she was far calmer about it but he hadn’t seen as much of her over the past few weeks.   His other sister had been studying with friends, a great deal of the time.   He had managed to keep up with his own course work though it but he was used to Belle and knew how to calm her down.   He had one paper left for his ancient history class and one left for an English lit class he had taken but other than the actual tests he was pretty much done.

The man had gone to the student center to try to get some work in before he had other places to be.  Going home might have been an option but his sisters weren’t out of class for the day yet and he had wanted to take them to dinner or maybe order pizza and just relax at home before going back to the grind of studying. 

There were a few study rooms and for the most part, they weren’t used that often, except for the end of the semester.  So, he wasn’t surprised to see someone in the room.   He had spoken to Clara before and she seemed like a nice girl.   He didn’t know her that well but having sisters have given him some insights and she seemed a little upset or maybe he was reading her wrong.

“Oh, no you don’t have to leave. I’d probably avoid studying anyway.”   He gave her a friendly smile.  “But if you’re studying I can leave.”   He paused to try to figure out if he should just leave. “If you have time though I’d like to get your opinion on something.”  

Mariosig%20copy_zpsgazhvuiq.jpg

#3 Clara Bishop

Clara Bishop

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

Clara didn't want to touch her eyes any longer for fear that they guy would ask her why she was crying and Clara was in no mood to discuss the death of her parents.  It wasn't that she was in denial or anything, it was more that she just didn't trust anyone with that information.  Not yet, anyway.  She didn't really have too many friends at Centennial and those that she did have didn't know enough about her to worry.

Mario stopped her from putting things away when he mentioned that he wasn't going to be studying.  She was a little thrown off, however, when he asked for her opinion.  Clara wasn't the kind of person to be outspoken or offer her opinion unless forced during class.  Of course, she was always willing to write her opinion on papers or her own beliefs in her stories, but she didn't like offering them to someone verbally because she always felt nervous when speaking to someone else. 

"I'm not studying," she offered.

Clara put her bag down, no longer needing to pack her things, and looked at Mario.  She was a little wary of whatever the guy would ask her opinion on.  Was it something she even had an opinion on?  Part of her was curious and part of her was scared that someone would even want her opinion on something that wasn't related to a book or a play.

"Okay," she said after a moment.  "What would you like to ask me?"

Posted Image

#4 Mario Malkavia

Mario Malkavia

• Junior

• Not Telling
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cindy
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

The young woman looked upset to Mario and part of him wanted to ask if he could help but it also seemed obvious from the way that she tried to hide it that she probably didn’t want to talk about whatever it was.    They didn’t know each other well enough for Mario to feel comfortable asking her about it so he figured if she wanted him to leave he would.

Mario was glad when Clara mentioned that she wasn’t studying and didn’t leave.  Apparently, she didn’t mind his company.   Putting down his backpack and sitting down, the man opened his pack pulling out a notebook.   It was about writing, his writing and normally he didn’t have a problem showing his work to people, especially, other writers for feedback.  He wasn’t really concerned with criticism and just would take it in and try to fix the work.

He turned to a page but before handing it to her said.  ”I’ve ventured into writing lyrics.  I was wondering if you’d look at one of the songs and tell me what you think?  And he meant ventured.  Mario had always been geared more towards story writing than poetry or lyrics but he had wanted to try songwriting for a while now and finally decided to do it. 

It didn’t really even dawn on him that he was older than her  and some might think that asking her opinion might seem odd but too Mario it didn’t matter,  she was writer and , in his mind, might be able to contribute some feedback to him .

#5 Clara Bishop

Clara Bishop

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:20 AM

Clara watched as Mario put his bag down and pulled out a notebook.  She figured that what Mario wanted to show her was his writing.  There was something about the sight of the notebook of another writer that meant that they wanted to get an opinion of their writing.  Clara didn't like to share her writing.  It wasn't that she was ashamed of her writing.  She felt that she was really good, regardless of what other people said.  Of course, there was something about getting another writer's opinion about a story, but that was not something that Clara felt she could do.  She was much too shy to ask anyone's opinion of her writing, especially if that person happened to be another writer.  But Clara took the notebook anyway, feeling herself required by some unwritten code of writers to evaluate and comment on whatever Mario was about to show her.

Mario mentioned that he had recently taken to writing song lyrics.  Clara had never really been curious about writing songs and instead focused on stories.  But she knew enough about song lyrics to know that they were basically super condensed short stories set to music.  Surely she could find it in herself to at least focus on that concept to allow her to give Mario good enough feedback.

It took her a moment to focus because her eyes felt tired having just stopped crying.  However, once she was paying attention to the words, she could see that there was a good song in front of her.  Clara read it several times before she actually looked back to Mario and smiled.

"It's a good start," she said.  "I mean, it's got a central theme and it's fluid."

She wasn't exactly sure how to comment other than what she offered but she handed the notebook back to Mario.

"I'm not really sure what else to say," she added.  "How long did it take you to write?"

Posted Image

#6 Rose Newhall

Rose Newhall

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

The man never minded showing his work to people, even something like the lyrics despite having never attempted a song before.   He, had known, people who didn’t like showing their work to others and he could understand that though the reason he had normally been told was because the things written were very personal.

He was really just looking for some general feedback.  The man didn’t really see himself as a lyricist and likely wouldn’t pursue it much past the one song but had been curious to know if it was any good, to another person, upon writing it.   He could have asked one of his sisters; Aurora knew music and Belle would have told him what she thought of it but he had really wanted to get the opinion of another writer.

He smiled when she smiled and not just because she had said it was good but also because he had gotten a smile out of her.  She had looked upset before and he had wanted to help her by trying to maybe take her mind off of whatever had been bothering her.  It was really the kind of guy he was, he didn’t like seeing people upset but especially girls, it reminded him of seeing his sisters upset and the man didn’t ever like that. 

”Thanks.”  He responded to her comments.   Then she mentioned not knowing what else to say.  ”It’s fine.  Actually, that was what I was looking for.”  How long had it taken him?  The man had written it off and on but altogether.. ”I guess about two or three  hours when you put it all together.  I really wrote it just when I had a spare moment.  I’ve never written lyrics or even much in the way of poetry before I normally stick to stories but this was just stuck in my mind.”

”So, how is everything with you? “ He wasn’t prying more just asking because that was what people asked each other.  She could really say whatever she wanted to the question.  

rosenewsig_zpsfc9b6398.jpg

#7 Mario Malkavia

Mario Malkavia

• Junior

• Not Telling
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cindy
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

(Sorry, I messed up. This is the same post as Rose but under the correct name.)

The man never minded showing his work to people, even something like the lyrics despite having never attempted a song before. He, had known, people who didn’t like showing their work to others and he could understand that though the reason he had normally been told was because the things written were very personal.

He was really just looking for some general feedback. The man didn’t really see himself as a lyricist and likely wouldn’t pursue it much past the one song but had been curious to know if it was any good, to another person, upon writing it. He could have asked one of his sisters; Aurora knew music and Belle would have told him what she thought of it but he had really wanted to get the opinion of another writer.

He smiled when she smiled and not just because she had said it was good but also because he had gotten a smile out of her. She had looked upset before and he had wanted to help her by trying to maybe take her mind off of whatever had been bothering her. It was really the kind of guy he was, he didn’t like seeing people upset but especially girls, it reminded him of seeing his sisters upset and the man didn’t ever like that.

”Thanks.” He responded to her comments. Then she mentioned not knowing what else to say. ”It’s fine. Actually, that was what I was looking for.” How long had it taken him? The man had written it off and on but altogether.. ”I guess about two or three hours when you put it all together. I really wrote it just when I had a spare moment. I’ve never written lyrics or even much in the way of poetry before I normally stick to stories but this was just stuck in my mind.”

”So, how is everything with you? “ He wasn’t prying more just asking because that was what people asked each other. She could really say whatever she wanted to the question.

#8 Clara Bishop

Clara Bishop

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

His smile brightened Clara up.  She shouldn't have let her emotions get to her so quickly after reading.  She knew she was at school and in a place where people might come.  She knew that she shouldn't get emotional.  Emotions were for home with her sister.  They didn't belong at school.  At least, not the sadness.  The sadness had no business to be part of her repertoire.  Clara was glad to have someone to talk to and bring her sanity back. 

Mario talked about how long it took him to write the song and she was somewhat impressed.  Clara was too much of a perfectionist to use a few hours to write something.  She never felt her stories were ever good enough after a few weeks or months, let alone a few hours.  Perhaps songwriting was different, but Clara had a feeling that it would end up being the same thing if she were writing it - she would never think it was good enough.  What was wrong with her?

When Mario asked how she was doing, she paused several moments while her brain processed how to answer.  Should she tell him?  Probably.  Was she going to?  Probably not.

"Oh," she finally said.  "I'm stressing about my finals.  I'm teetering with an A minus and a B plus in one class and I really want to do well on the final so I get an A."

It was the truth.  She did want to end up with a 4.0 for the semester and one class was not going to get in her way. Clara was allowed to stress out and possibly cry over not getting an A - that was just who she was and people would just have to deal with it.

"What about you?" Clara asked.  "Stressing over finals or just casually worried?"

Posted Image

#9 Mario Malkavia

Mario Malkavia

• Junior

• Not Telling
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cindy
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

The song had been more for himself, to see if he could, at first anyway. He had never really considered adding lyrics writing to the list of what her wrote on a regular basis and even now he still didn’t but it was good to know that he could even if Claire ended up being the only person who saw it.

He nodded to her answer. He had no reason to doubt her but having sisters made him a little more aware of things and he wondered it was the complete truth. Still, he wouldn’t pry , it wasn’t his way to do so. ”Oh, I hate when I’m on the edge of a grade like that but I’m sure you’ll do fine.”

”I’m doing the normal amount of stressing, I suppose about them. I think it helps that I do not have to take all those classes outside my majors now.” He was past the requirements that weren’t history or writing and it helped a lot with finals that he really enjoyed the classes he was taking.

#10 Clara Bishop

Clara Bishop

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Though Clara wanted to be studying and working on getting that A, she just couldn't do it.  She was bored of studying and wanted to be doing anything except that.  That's why she was writing, even though she really had nothing to write.  Her brain was a jumble and she wasn't exactly sure where a lot of it was going, but at least it was better than studying.

Mario made a comment about hating the situation and Clara nodded.  She more than hated the situation she was in.  She loathed it.  But there was nothing that she could really do about it.  If she did well on the final, she would get an A.  If she didn't, she would suffer the embarrassing B.  Her brain made her consider who she was trying to get the good grades for and she realized that she didn't really have to any longer.  Her parents weren't in the picture so any pressure that she might have received from them about her grades was gone.  It was callous, she knew, but it was the truth.  For thirty seconds or so, Clara almost felt like giving up on school completely to become a full time writer.  Her brain reminded her that she needed to be good enough to keep her sister.  That was the most important part.

Clara was a little jealous of Mario and the fact that he was done with his general education classes.  She sometimes wished that there was a way to just get out of all of them and simply take the classes in her major.  She knew that wasn't really possible, but it would be pretty cool.

"That's good," she offered.  "Now I'm sure it's just a bunch of writing."

She thought for a moment and then looked at Mario.

"So, Mario," she said.  "What are your plans for the future?  Like what do you think you'll do with your degree?"

It was something that had weighed on her own mind.  She didn't really have a plan for after college but she also knew that her degree wouldn't necessarily transfer to the real world.  She had to hope there was something out there that she could do.

Posted Image

#11 Mario Malkavia

Mario Malkavia

• Junior

• Not Telling
  • Chicago, IL
  • Cindy
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

Mario didn’t want to be studying right now and was glad he had ran into Clara because that was what he would have been doing or he would have been writing but really there was little need for him to study more. The man got good grades and kept them up for future plans but he no longer had classes he had to work hard at to maintain that.

His parents had never really worried about his grades; it was the same with his sisters. They never really had to but if there had been B’s in place of A’s it wouldn’t have bothered them too much. They were more concerned about their children doing as well as they could and that they could do things that they loved. He knew though that his parents weren’t like everyone’s parents and knew he was lucky in that respect. It also might have made a difference that his parents didn’t always have time to keep an eye on them; Mario had stepped in many times in that role.
”Yes, pretty much. Well, except the history classes.” The creative writing certainly was but history could still be writing essays or memorizing dates , places or names. It didn’t occur to him that Claire probably didn’t know that he had a double major, until after he said it. ”I have a double major in history and creative writing.”

[b]”Oh, I really want to write historical fiction novels but it might take a while to get picked up by a publisher. I’ll probably stay here to get my master’s degree in history and then decide if I want to become a professor or do something else.”[b] He could write novels and teach, it was a good way to pay the bills and do what he loved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mario Malkavia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

RPG-D