free hit counter

CSU is a text-based, self-hosted roleplay site created in 2013. It's set in Colorado at a fictional university. Register with your character's first and last name with proper capitalization. Unfortunately due to the presence of bots we've had to turn on admin validation of all accounts, so please be patient with us or drop us a message in the cbox to remind us you're here! Once your account has been validated, feel free to apply with a profile and join in the fun!

Centennial State University, founded in 1891, is a prestigious public university located south of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Its remote location serves as a great higher education grounds, as there are little distractions yet many learning experiences. CSU offers a wide array of degrees, from wildlife conservation to video game design to dance, just to name a few. Our science and arts departments are among the nation's finest, and our intercollegiate athletics programs are rising up more and more every year. If you're interested in having both the experience of a lifetime and the best education in the midwest, then apply today and call CSU home.

APPLY | DEGREE PROGRAMS | CAMPUS LIVING | GREEK LIFE
Home    Search    Members    Calendar    Chat

Polar Opposites

Max Zheng Corra Melli

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Max Zheng_*

Guest_Max Zheng_*

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Max walked into the Student Center, his nose in a book. While he cared about his reputation, he didn’t mind being seen with a book. After all, he wasn’t stupid, and this book was written by a Grand Master of Kung Fu. Nothing to be ashamed of there, and it was fascinating. The masters always had some insight he’d never thought of before.

Which made sense, he supposed. After all, at 21, not even Max could expect to know everything there was to know about any given subject. Especially on all the little philosophies tied into kung fu.

Thankfully dance didn’t have any weird mystical religion mixed in with it, though he knew of several people who managed to do just that. Oh well. Didn’t make a difference to Max. He did what he did, and people could deal with it. He’d never been swayed by people’s disapproval – probably why he had so many people’s respect and admiration.

Anyway. Max was walking into the building. He had his black leather messenger bag slung over his shoulder and his book in his hand. He really had nothing to do today, since he wasn’t starting classes till the Fall semester. He was just bored, and the Student Center seemed as good a place as any to find a distraction.

He glanced around to see what kind of people were in there today. The usual incoming Freshmen, sitting around studying. A group of upper classmen laughing. Nothing out of the ordinary. Okay, maybe today was just destined to be a quiet-reading kind of day. 

He adjusted his bag's strap since it was leaning heavily on one part of his shoulder, and walked over to an empty table. He dropped his bag onto the table and set his book down on top of it. He figured he could go grab a cup of tea over at the little coffee shop in the corner, and there was nothing in his bag worth stealing. Besides, he'd be able to see the table from the line. 

Max walked over to order some tea - Jasmine green tea - and paid the cashier. He accepted the cup after a few minutes and smelled it, smiling slightly. 

#2 Corra Edison

Corra Edison

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Corra "Sparrow" Finch lived every day the way it came at her. It made no difference whether or not she made schedules for herself anyway-- the only way she could remember them is if she wrote them down, and even then she'd lose the paper. Anything terribly important was scribbled on her arms and hands, though somehow she usually managed to memorize her school schedule sometime in the first week of class. Most of the time the notes were just silly things, like "test on Monday" or "dinner with Celia on Friday." It would have made sense to set the alarm on her phone for things like this, but she often lost her phone, so that was a moot point as well.

It should be clarified first that she wasn't stupid in any sense of the word. Sure, she might have lacked a lot of common sense and attention to detail, but she was hardly dumb so much as her head was filled up with other things. Other things that she thought were far more important than tests or texts or the daily grind. Admittedly most of the time she dwelled on mundane things, too-- like what she was going to have for lunch, where that sound was coming from, or whether or not she'd remembered to feed her fish-- but there were times where her mind buzzed with brilliant creativity. In those moments, she could put her pen to a sheet of paper and either write a well-crafted short story or draw a cute little comic, but it never made much difference when she lost it in the end. Besides, those things were just for fun, right?

On this particular day, creative thoughts weren't driving her to the Student Center so much as the scent of coffee. Normally if she wanted a cup she'd drive out to where her sister worked, but again, she mostly went wherever the wind took her. Patiently she stood in line, humming to herself, unaware of how loud she was actually being. That was Sparrow, though; she had to occupy herself at all times, even if that included making unnecessary noise. For a while she hardly noticed the guy in front of her until he'd gotten his own drink, in which case curiosity struck her.

She could smell it from where she stood, and it smelled better than what she'd just ordered. Head popping up near his shoulder, she raised her eyebrows and nodded to his cup, hardly bothering with a greeting. "What's that? That's a type of tea, isn't it? Not coffee? I ordered coffee but yours smells better, so I'm kind of curious to see what it is so I can get it next time. I wonder if they have it at other coffee shops rather than this one, because I usually go to my sister's coffee shop first, and I don't know if they'll have it. Maybe that's why I haven't smelled it before or something. Hi, I'm Corra-- but people usually call me Sparrow." Her words came out in one breath, and she hardly gave him any time at all in between to answer any of her questions. Completely unaware of how overwhelming she'd been, she grinned widely and gave her typical cute wave, excited to meet someone new.

#3 Guest_Max Zheng_*

Guest_Max Zheng_*

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Max turned and raised his eyebrows in surprise. This adorably small, brunette girl with the big smile was bombarding him with questions, and quite frankly, he had no idea where (or how) to start. She jumped from his tea, to coffee, to a coffee shop, to her name - something he could latch onto first.

"Hi, um... Sparrow? Can I call you that? I'm Max." He was still a little taken aback, but she wasn't intimidating at all, and just seemed a little... exuberant. Now to go through her questions. He carefully thought about each one in turn, eyeing her somewhat suspiciously, as if she'd randomly combust. It didn't seem completely unlikely, based off her previous word-vomit. 

"Uh, and yeah. This is tea. Jasmine green tea. It's not super rare, but I guess it's kind of a specialty tea." He wondered what the best next step would be. He hadn't really counted on meeting someone who could potentially talk his ear off, but he also didn't really have anything to do, and he had been looking for some entertainment of some sort. 

Max didn't usually just hang out with girls, but Corra, or Sparrow, or whatever obviously wasn't like any other girl. Most of the time, they'd start flirting with him, and he'd flirt right back and - quite literally - charm the pants off of them. Something told Max though, that that wasn't going to happen with Sparrow. She seemed so naive and innocent. She was cute though. Her pretty green eyes were wide with enthusiasm, and her cheeky smile made him want to return it. 

He wasn't usually the type to make friends quickly. Well, scratch that. Max wasn't really the type to make friends. He knew people, and they knew him. And yeah, of course he hung out with people. When it suited him. Max tended to live a pretty selfish lifestyle. Even when he was did something for someone else, there was still a self-serving motive behind it, even if it was just that someone was entertaining. Well, Sparrow would be entertaining as hell, he could imagine. So why not ask her to hang out? He had nothing better to do, and it would probably be good for him (somehow) to hang out with someone more wholesome than his usual group.

"Looks like your coffee's ready," he said as he grabbed it from the barista and handed it to her with a crooked smile.

#4 Corra Edison

Corra Edison

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

Sparrow was hardly a stranger to surprise. Most people she didn't know reacted that way to her, and she figured it might have been a good thing. First impressions, right? She'd hardly want to make a bad first impression, and in her mind surprise was a good thing. It meant she'd be memorable in the future-- and she certainly was that. People rarely forgot a face like Sparrow's (if only because she didn't allow them to), and her name was unique in its own way, too. So his surprise only had her grinning wider as she nodded fervently. "Yeah! Everyone calls me Sparrow. Corra's kind of weird to hear sometimes, you know? But it's super nice to meet you, Max. That's a nice name, I really like it." 

She held out her hand for a handshake for only a moment before realizing that he was preoccupied with his tea, so she tried to pass it off as a weird thumbs up, tucking hers inside her shorts pockets afterwards. "That's cool! I've heard of it, I guess I just never tried it. I'll have to try it next time, since it smells super good and stuff. I bet I could get my sister to make it for me." She gave yet another grin, hardly feeling awkward with the conversation.

Truthfully, though, he didn't even have to ask her to hang out. The fact that he continued conversation and didn't brush her off was enough for her to invite herself. Despite knowing absolutely nothing about the guy other than the fact that he liked this sort of tea instead of coffee, she wanted to hang out with him for a little while. Never hurt to have another friend, right? She'd basically already concluded to follow him wherever he went.

"Thank you!" She said. The moment he smiled at her she reflected it right back a little too enthusiastically, turning back out to the open area. "Would you mind if I sit with you for a little while?" She asked, doing her best to be polite, though honestly it was more of a formality than anything. If she had anything to do with it, she'd be sitting at his table.

#5 Guest_Max Zheng_*

Guest_Max Zheng_*

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Max wasn't really used to girls talking to him without flirting. It was... kind of a nice change, actually. He never thought he'd think that, but this kid was kind of a breath of fresh air. 

In moderation, probably. But for now, he welcomed her apparently bright, cheerful personality with cautious optimism. 

"Thanks. I like Sparrow. It... suits you." He hoped that came across as a compliment. Flattery towards sexy vixens was so much easier than complimenting people like Sparrow. "And it's really nice to meet you too."

He hid a smile at her recovery. She was cute. Ugh, there was that word in his mind again. But there was something so adorable about this girl that he had a weird urge to give her a hug. On the other hand, she also made him a little uncomfortable. Something told him that it was going to be hard to get rid of her once she got attached to him. He nodded at her comment though. "Yeah, it's one of my favorite teas. It actually tastes exactly how it smells, so it's a little more interesting than just plain green tea." Max liked tea almost as much as he liked dancing and girls. And dancing with girls.

Max bit his lip, hiding another amused smile at her enthusiasm. "Uh, sure. I just put my stuff over there," he said, gesturing to his table. "We could sit somewhere else though, if you want. Maybe by a window or something?" It might be nice to get some sunlight, since he didn't have to worry about the glare on his computer screen anymore. It would be rude to turn it on if he was with someone, and he didn't want to be that guy. 

#6 Corra Edison

Corra Edison

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Every now and then Sparrow received that compliment about her name, but it never lessened how happy it made her to hear. Her grin widened even more, if possible, as she nodded. "My mom said that when I was a kid and even a baby, too, I used to hum and sing all the time. So they called me Sparrow because it seemed to fit, and eventually I wouldn't answer to anything else. Some people would rather call me Corra, but I still prefer it." A lot of people, actually, refused to call her by anything else than Corra. It didn't irritate her, though.

Already she'd regretted getting her coffee, but the moment she started to catch the smell of it, that thought went away. Suddenly she was reminded that fall was coming up very soon, and already she was looking forward to pumpkin spice lattes and just flavors of the season in general. She pressed that thought from her mind as quickly as possible, though; already she was getting distracted. Not that that had anything to do with her interest in the conversation, as she was undoubtedly hooked on this stranger already. Her mind just tended to wander occasionally.

"Cool. I'll definitely try it sometime. Maybe tomorrow or something." It was actually very likely that she'd come back the following day for it, as she was just that curious to try new things. For now, though, she was glad to talk about other things.

Fervently she nodded at the idea of sitting by the window. "The weather's been kind of nice lately, so that sounds really good," she said with a smile; Colorado's scenery never really got old for her, and considering they were living near a beautiful tourist city, there was hardly a place on campus without a view of some kind. Hopefully she wouldn't get too distracted with looking out of the window. Without much fanfare she headed in the direction of the table, settling into one of the seats in nervous excitement. It was always cool to make a new friend. 

#7 Guest_Max Zheng_*

Guest_Max Zheng_*

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

"That's actually kind of adorable," Max said with a half smile. "Do you still sing a lot?" He wasn't entirely sure why he was being so forward with his compliments. She obviously wasn't going to be the type of girl he'd be able to charm into a one night stand or anything like that. Not that he was into that kind of thing anyway. The sex wasn't the point. Though it did tend to be the end of the line for his "relationships."

The smell of the coffee wafted to his nose. "Mmm. Smells like you made a good decision anyway. But yeah, definitely try the tea. I think you'd like it." Max liked coffee, up to a point. He wasn't an addict, by any means. He'd never been a "coffee guy." Tea had always been his thing. Maybe he had his mom to blame (thank) for that. She'd been almost obsessive over her daily tea ceremonies. Max rarely told anyone, but he still went through her little rituals at least once a week. Hidden safely away in his room with the door locked, of course. 

He grabbed his bag and book, stuffing it into the front pocket in his messenger bag. Chances were, she'd see it, but he didn't really want to just leave it out and force her to talk about dance. Sometimes explaining his life choices to people was a bit of a drag. People never quite got the whole "dance isn't gay" concept. But for reals. How was wrestling a straight sport, and dancing with beautiful women was inherently gay? He couldn't see the sense in that.

Sitting down in the seat across from Sparrow, he studied her face. "So. Tell me about yourself, Sparrow." Another step forward in the social and emotional growth of Max Zheng. Since when did he ask people about themselves?

Since never, that's when. And here he was, potentially preparing himself to have a long, in-depth conversation with a strange (in several ways) girl. And he wasn't even terrified. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Max Zheng, Corra, Melli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

RPG-D